The Dominican Sisters of Peace formally entered the Ministry of healthcare in Ohio in 1944. The Dominican Archbishop of Cincinnati, John T. McNicholas, asked our Sisters to manage a newly-built convalescent home in the city. The home, called simply St. George, opened in 1944.
Meanwhile, back in Columbus, Sisters who were in need of medical care were housed in an infirmary at the Motherhouse. But by 1950, there were more than 60 Sisters needing long-term care. This demand overwhelmed the Motherhouse, and plans were set into motion to raise funds for a new, separate infirmary.
One of the acts adopted at the 1953 General Chapter was a plan to build this new facility. The construction of the Mohun Health Care Center, named after former Prioress Stephanie Mohun, would be the major building project of the administration of newly-elected Prioress Aloyse Fitzpatrick.
Bishop Michael J. Ready of Columbus presided over the ground-breaking ceremony in 1956.
Although the building was not yet complete, elderly Sisters began to move into Mohun Hall on September 14, 1957. The new facility was connected to the Motherhouse not only physically, but also electronically – a state-of-the-art communication system allowed Sisters living in Mohun to listen to prayers and events in the Motherhouse chapel as well as to events in Ohio Dominican University’s Erskine Hall.
The newly-installed Bishop of Columbus, Bishop Clarence G. Issenmann, presided over the official dedication of the new Monun Hall on May 2, 1957.
In 1959, an expanded lobby and portico were added to the Mohun Center, along with a relocation of the kitchen, an expanded dining room, and a covered patio and porch for the Sisters to enjoy.
The Center celebrated 65 years of serving retired religious in 2022.